President Se-hwa Wu said, “We are about to construct the university dormitory, to accelerate internationalization, to generate intelligent teams, and to reinforce features of colleges and disciplines.”
National Chengchi University is the most complete and leading domestic university, known for humanities and social science education. In order to become the top academic institution of humanities and social science in Taiwan, Asia and even the world, we dedicate to producing talents for social development and future demands. For the contribution to our country and society, we aim to develop professional fields, broaden academic knowledge, and balance instruction and research.
1. Focusing on developing to be a world top university with continuous concern with the high-education policy.
2. Reinforcing the department evaluation, faculty evaluation, and academic ethics in order to achieve the goals of academic community.
3. Ensuring teaching and counseling qualities.
4. Reinforcing social recognition.
5.Elevating administrative efficiency by integrating central organization.
Based on the “Top University Program,” to carry out each item in three stages through year 2008 to 2010.
- Choosing traditionally famous and outstanding fields as the developing focuses; investing more resources and assisting these fields to be the top academic intuitions in Asia and even the world.
- Elevating academic level and reinforcing teaching qualities; inviting outstanding professors to generate world leading talents who possess the competitive power.
- Making adjustments in both infrastructure and superstructure so as to accomplish main goals of the program; proposing supplementary measures, including improving institution and research environment, pointing to the effort of internationalization, upgrading the research environment, adjusting the administrative organization and function, constructing hardware environment, etc.
2008 Top University Program: Main Strategies and Budget Distribution Diagram
(budget resources: subsidies from the Ministry of Education and university fund)
Ⅰ. Focal Fields
Business and Management
● Acquiring EQUIS, participating in the ranking of Financial Times.
● Practicing AACSB and promoting case studies; actively committing research on Taiwanese
case studies and international publications.
● Pushing forward integrative researches accompanied by innovative services and firm values;constructing research center for senior PhD students.
● Advancing digital program, exploring and constructing future foundation for new medias.
Features of Colleges
● College of Law: Producing talents with multiple skills and reinforcing creative teaching;
advancing law research on East Asia within globalization.
● College of Social Science: Advancing case studies and researches on public affairs and
promoting the internationalization of academic performances.
● College of International Affairs: Joining in APSIA, carrying out the project of visiting
ambassador and participating activities hold by UNESCO.
● College of Foreign Languages and Literature: Integrating cross-cultural research, elevating translation level, and dedicating to bringing Taiwan’s linguistic journal to the global stage.
● Election Study Center: Election studies on Asian countries.
● Center for China Studies: Foreign investment and institution transition.
● Research Center for Mind, Brain & Learning: From mental recognition to social community.
● Center for Science, Technology and Human Values: Public ethics and democracy.
● Advancing politics, psychology,sociology,philosophy and business, etc.
● Continuing TA courses.
● Promoting learning motives.
● Practicing refresher courses for faculty and delivering teaching experience.
Multiple learning interests
● Integrating basic curriculum and interdisciplinary undergraduate program.
● Improving enrollment system by holding a series of lectures on NCCU.
● From enrollment to orientation session, assisting freshmen to find academic interest.
● Constructing dormitory partitioned into four major colleges, practicing the spirit: learning by living.
● Improving common courses.
● Focusing on creative practices and professional skills in producing future leaders.
Fundamental construction of Humanities and Social Science
● Collecting and reserving special books.
● Improving both software and hardware.
Ⅴ. Internationalization Policies
Internationalization of Teaching: Cultivating the World Vision of Students
● Increasing quantity and quality of English-taught courses.
● Promoting international summer sessions and short term courses in foreign countries.
● Grouping language exchange teams.
Internationalization of Research: Emphasizing both Domesticity and Globalization
● Granting international summer sessions especially on interdisciplinary studies, international conference and Graduate Student Study Abroad Program.
Internationalization of Administration: Constructing Non-obstacle Serving Environment
● Reinforcing bilingual environment of administration.
● Promoting tutoring for international students and interaction with local students.
● Drawing policies on internationalization.
International Interaction and Cooperation
● Offering scholarship for students studying abroad, newly-enrolled international students, and exchange students studying in Chinese language.
● Executing elite program for newly industrialized countries.
● Advancing international promotion of NCCU and preparing for QS.
● Enlarging regional development project.
Ⅵ. Research Support and Administrative Revolution
Support of Research
● Granting faculty and students participating international conferences and subsidizing the
inviting of world notable scholars for short term lectures.
● Establishing university publisher, imposing censorship on publication of books in the fields
humanities and social science.
● Establishing the brain bank enhancing the intellectual property checkup and its service.
● Arranging forums on public policies.
● Increasing numbers of lecturers, contracted lecturers and other outstanding talents.
● Adding up research subsidies for newly-hired assistant professors.
● Setting brain bank.
● Improving the university information system.